Sunday, December 21, 2008

What is the MTA Trainsim project

MTA Trainsim is a project to build a route for Microsoft Train Simulator (MSTS) that models the Boston MTA's Cambridge Dorchester subway as it existed in the 1960's, just before the MTA gave way to the MBTA and the Cambridge Dorchester line (CDL) became the Red Line. This is my first attempt at building an MSTS route. I had mucked around with another route and had built some activities but until now had been put off by the reputation of the legendary route editor. Bit being a software developer by trade I thought "how bad can it be? I have dealt with crappy unstable software all of my professional life" mostly written by me :)

Why the CDL? In 1960 my family moved from Northern Ontario Canada to Boston first living in Brighton, where I discovered the streetcars on Commonwealth Ave and the Watertown line. We used to walk into Back Bay and along the Charles esplanade where I saw a bridge with some dirty dark green/brown subway cars crossing it. Later we moved to Jamaica Plain then Dorchester where I ended up riding those dirty dark green/brown subway cars every day to school in West Roxbury. The next year shiny new blue white and gold trains started showing up making test runs - these were the 01400 "bluebirds" which eventually replaced the older cars which I later found where the type 1 - type 4 cars, some of which dated to the original subway opening in 1912. While the new cars were bright and comfortable I missed the sounds of the old cars and especially the view out the front as the 01400's had the full width cab, the bane of the subway fan.

The experience of those old cars were unforgettable. The train would pull into the station, the doors, operated by guards standing precariously on the platforms between the cars, opened ponderously. You entered in to this grubby green colored interior with bare light bulbs and slatted wooden seats. Under the floor the air compressor would start up with a "chunka- chunka" sound. Then the doors would close, the motorman got his buzzer signal from the guard, and the train would lurch forward and a growling sound that got louder and higher in pitch would come from the motors. Usually my place would be at the front door to look out over the track and watch the signals change from the train ahead if it were rush hour and we were on a close headway. In summer the door would be open and just a chicken wire screen separated you from the tunnel ahead.

Going back to the sim, I also considered the Main Line elevated with its 01100 cars built in the 1950's, probably the most reliable cars the MTA ever owned. I did once get to ride on a train of 0900's from the 1920's somewhat like the CDL type 1- type 4 except painted in an orange and blue scheme and with a strange fold away cab that the motorman was having trouble keeping closed. The El would be cool but I shudder to think of all that urban scenery, and the huge elevated yard at Sullivan Square. At least the CDL is mostly in a tunnel except for the yards at both ends, the Charles River crossing, and the section from south of Andrew to Fields Corner. That much I figured I could deal with, although building the Longfellow Bridge looks challenging.

Maybe the El might be a second project, although I suspect I will be sick of subways by then and might do a commuter rail line such as the Fitchburg that runs not far from my home in Hubbardston MA. Another possibility is the Bangor and Aroostook in Maine, an idea that came after a trip to Fort Kent to see a school my son is thinking of attending. Basically 300 miles of trees and moose with the occasional paper mill, no urban scenery to worry about. Well, I have to finish this one first!

I am hoping that in a small way this sim is a way of preserving something that no longer exists, the original CDL with its tiled stations and interesting rolling stock. I thought of doing this as a more modern day route which might appeal to more people. Besides the historical factor, the more modern approach would add some more work, some of it challenging. I plan to post that discussion in a future blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment