Friday, January 30, 2009

Do over?

I have been debating whether I should redo my track for the C-D route. Actually I would probably start with new tiles, get DEMEX and do the terrain properly.

There are several areas that bother me about the existing route. These are the main ones:

1. The tunnel sections (from Xtracks standard tunnels) are main line RR sized and it is difficult to match them to the stations due to their height and shape.

2. I did not get the grades correct in some areas, for example there should be a grade for the line to go under the fort point channel between South Station and Broadway; the grade coming out of Park to Charles is wrong so that it takes too long to get elevated; Ashmont and Codman yard isn't right; the Harvard station/Eliot yard complex is too deep I think which is one reason why I had so much trouble fitting it in.

3. I have also been reconsidering my decision to make it solely the Ashmont - Harvard line as in the early 1960's and was thinking of adding the Braintree extension at least (brings it up to the 1970's) that means running the type 1-4 cars would be anachronistic but on the other hand it would allow adding the type 1 south shore cars (01500's) plus add more possibilities for activities.

4. I did not use 3rd rail sections as I was not aware of any that were available. Since then I have come across routes with 3rd rail and track sets with 3rd rail sections such as UKFS.

If I went that route I would still be able to use most of the stations and other scenery objects I built. I would still keep them as the early unrefurbished versions. I haven't done Columbia yet which is the only station that is changed for the extension.

I would keep the end at Harvard for now rather than going to Alewife as I like the old Eliot yard and shop complex. Of course I woudl have to add Cabot Yard. There is also the whole issue of how much if any to do of the MBTA Old Colony - there should at least be the capability of AI trains on it.

Something to think about - I go back and forth on it.

Another development is that Steve an experienced MSTS developer has taken on the task of puting together some type 5 (01400) cars which is great news.

No comments:

Post a Comment